Sunday, January 10, 2010

Some stuff from my 2009

Since I spent two whole entries on Greg Mortenson and "Three Cups of Tea," I was going to finish the trilogy and describe my experiences when Greg spoke in Seattle. But I will wait until later. Instead, I will catch up on some other events, starting with the most recent.

For Christmas, Mary and Mom flew into Seattle.

Are these Christmas ghosts?

Nope. Rather, my cousin Chris decided on the ultimate Christmas gift: the Snuggie! Everyone in the extended family got one, except the babies.

From A Snuggie Christmas
I am not sure what Chris' wife, Olivia, thought of the idea. But in Chris' defense, I had thought about doing the same thing.

Hmm, perhaps that isn't much of a defense.



From Trinity Lutheran concert
In early December, I took Grandma to an alumni concert. Grandma graduated from Trinity Lutheran College, I think in 1979. That means she was 60! As you can see in the picture, Grandma looked pretty good for 60. I guess that helps explain how she can still be so active today, past 90.

From Wai's baptism
In November, my "Uncle" Wai got baptized. It was pretty cool. Wai gave a very energetic testimony. His joy was very inspiring. I know Wai also works very hard in his business (a submarine sandwich shop).








From Ryan and Vi's wedding
In September, I flew to Los Angeles to see my friends Ryan and Vi get married. Ryan and Vi were both undergrads at Caltech when I was a grad student. I do not have any great pictures of them at the wedding. Fortunately, their photographer had that covered. Three that I really like are here, here, and here.





From Library book sale
Also in September, I went to the Seattle Public Library's semi-annual book sale. This is a big event, and it happens once in the fall and once in the spring. They hold it in an old airplane hanger. There are something like 250,000 books, most for $1. The line to get in wraps around the block, literally. And many people are serious about their books: they bring portable luggage racks and several boxes, and many even have bar-code readers!

At the library sale, I bought like 12 copies of "Three Cups of Tea" for $1 each. But that is really part of another story. Next time!

No comments: