Monday, November 08, 2010

ElecTRONica at Disneyland!

A few days before Halloween, a friend flew into town for the ElecTRONica event at Disneyland. My friend's name is TRONster, so this was a natural fit.

ElecTRONica is a new event at Disney's California Adventures, in anticipation of the upcoming movie, "TRON: Legacy." At ElecTRONica, they convert part of the theme park into a Tron-themed night club.

ElecTRONica is already special, but this was also a special ElecTRONica: the first 200 people in line were able to meet the screenwriters from the new movie! In the middle is Tronster.

Part of the "night club" of ElecTRONica. I liked that it was outside and not in a stuffy building.

They also had a sneak peak of the new movie in 3D, an exhibit with some of the real props from the new movie, and an old-school arcade filled with video games from the 80s. (The last part was one of my favorites, of course. :)

I was wearing a very bright T-shirt, which was accentuated by black lights in the street.










Here is an iconic poster from the original "TRON" movie. The text reads:

"A world inside the computer where man has never been."

"Never before now."






Some fans came in very elaborate costumes. These two took advantage of the black lights to strike a pose.








The next day, Tronster and I explored LA. We visited Saddleback Church, then we tried to find the Hollywood sign. In the evening we met with our friend George. (We all met at a game conference.)

George took us to his favorite restaurant, "The Counter." It's a custom burger joint. As George said, "It's the only place where your burger gets a character sheet you fill out."

The Counter is so fancy that they have 20 different sauces to put on your burger. (I chose either the roasted garlic aioli or the sun-dried tomato vinaigrette . . . I forget.)
From Tronster & George

A close up of my fancy burger. Whatever I ordered, it was very tasty. :)

I had a great couple days hanging out with Tronster and George. It was a fun change of pace, but what I enjoyed most was getting to know my friends a bit better.

2 comments:

Rob in Sac said...

That Counter burger joint looks pretty cool. I notice there's one in Roseville, so I might have to make a trip out there one of these days!

Geoff Hom said...

Hi Rob! Yeah, I also went to one in Seattle. Maybe it's the hip new thing. :)