Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Christmas in Sacramento

Some of the other things I did while in Sacramento for Christmas:

On Christmas Day, Mary, Mom, and I visited Dad's grave. (In the picture, it's near the left-most headstones.) Dad's grave marker has a custom design, and it's almost cartoony. But I like that; it seems to give a little more joy to the place. Dad was extremely practical, but I am glad that we spent the extra money in this case.

We also visited the marker for Mr. and Mrs. Steinberg. Mrs. Steinberg was my math teacher through all of high school. She was ahead of her time: because of her, many juniors passed the Advanced Placement Calculus BC exam, when it was rare for a senior to even attempt the Calculus AB exam. (The BC was harder than the AB.)

From Christmas 2010
Afterward, Mom treated us to dim sum. Then we visited Hillary and Amanda, old family friends. (In the background is Amanda, and in the foreground, with her back to us, is Hillary.)

If this picture seems different, it's because Mary took it while practicing "artsy" photos.

A few days later, Mary and I went jogging. (I've taken up mild cardio.) I really liked this tree for some reason, so I took this picture. But I didn't realize why, until just now!

What does this tree remind you of? (The answer is at the end.)




Eventually, Mary and I made it from our house, through the parkway, to the Sacramento River. This was a rare occurrence (Mary and I doing something together, me jogging, and being in Sac), so we better take some pictures!

Mary tried taking some more artsy photos. Here, I am adjusting my ear muffs.






Sacramento has many trees. Many. And many great trees, like this one.





From Jogging in Sac

On the way back through the park, we saw a kitty cat! If you look closely, you can see dried cat food on the ground. So, someone was taking care of this kitty.


Holidays are funny. Growing up, I didn't think twice about the four of us being together for holidays. We were always together, at least geographically. I guess some things change, and some things stay the same.


Oh, what does that tree in the picture remind me of?

It's . . . a leaf!

That's deep, isn't it?

No comments: