Wednesday, May 09, 2012

March 19 – April 9: Blue Marble, CostCo, Eric Tang, Easter, Owl

Oops! I didn't update in my normal 3-week cycle. Also, some of you know that I was in Africa for two weeks, but I haven't mentioned it here. I will blog about Africa, probably over several posts.

Also, future posts will not be at regular intervals. You can learn when I've posted by using the "Follow by Email" tool on the left side.

Ok, so what did I do before Africa? =)

From Blue Marble
March 19: I visited the Blue Marble Game Company. They make games that help people. For example, "The Treasure of Bell Island" is a game to rehabilitate people who have suffered from traumatic brain injury (TBI).








From CostCo
March 22: I went to CostCo for my vaccine for typhoid. (Tip: You can use the CostCo pharmacy even if not a CostCo member.) Everyone knows CostCo has amazing prices, but this blew me away. Here are teddy bears. These teddy bears are 53" inches tall. And they cost only $29.99! When I was a kid, such giant stuffed animals existed only at carnival games, and the assumption was they cost $200. This is a sign of the times to me, more than the Internet, iPads, or Facebook.

If you were wondering, I needed the typhoid vaccine for Africa. I also got my Tdap, Hep A, Hep B and Yellow Fever vaccines. Vaccines are pretty awesome, when I think about them.

From Eric Tang
April 4: My friend Eric Tang visited! Eric and I met years ago at the GDC (Game Developers Conference). Two things I remember about Eric: 1) For his work, he once made a mouse that looked like a pistol, for gamers. 2) At one GDC, I felt incredibly sick after a large Italian meal, and all I could do for three hours was sit on a bench in the San Jose Conference Center and try not to throw up. Eric sat with me for almost the whole time.


April 8: Easter, and also my birthday! Here I am at sunrise service.






From Easter
At the Easter service, my Bible-study group gave me a care package! It was for Africa, since I was leaving on April 11. The gift was totally unexpected. And practical.

If you look closely at the back of the care package, there's a little basket. It had notes of good wishes from my group. I almost cried.




April 9: What is this hulking monstrosity?! It's a little owl toy. My sister got it for me while in Nicaragua on a mission trip. Thank you!







From Owl
You can open the toy to hide something inside, like jewelry. Or a flash drive.




Next time: AFRICA!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heeheehee, great pickie of the owl puzzle box fr nica! =) love the care package you got fr your SG! and other adventures you blog about here!