Wednesday, September 19, 2012

6 Dates with SaraJean: A Love Story…? Date 1.

Last time: SaraJean said she liked me. I was interested but not ready to be in a steady relationship, so we agreed to go on a series of 6 dates first. I promised to tell you about Date 1.

Before we continue, I want to mention that SaraJean and I hung out several times between dates, but we didn't count them as "official dates." However, if something significant happened then, I will mention that.

From My cell phone
For example, SaraJean and I had our "First Date" (ooohhh!) on May 12, 2012. But about a week beforehand, I got to care for her because she was sick in bed. (I brought her dinner, and we talked a little.) Looking back, we were already learning important things about each other: SaraJean doesn't like asking for help sometimes, and I don't like texting a lot because I have a prepaid plan and a phone without a good keyboard for texting.

Anyway, Date 1 was a Saturday, and it was my turn to plan. My assumption was that these dates would be very casual and laid back. So, I planned just to take SaraJean to lunch.

But where for lunch, for our First Date? Such an important question! I was learning that SaraJean likes surprises. That didn't help, since I couldn't ask if she wanted to go to restaurant X or eat cuisine Y. (FYI, I can't stand scary surprises. Other types of surprises I might like, after I've had time to think about them. =)

I decided on Ethiopian, since it's different and my favorite cuisine, and I'd always wanted to try one of the restaurants in Little Ethiopia. (Little Ethiopia is like Chinatown but Ethiopian, and smaller.) To be a little safe, I did ask SaraJean if she likes Ethiopian food. (She said she likes that you eat it with your hands. =)

One reason I like Ethiopian is that there are no extra plates or silverware. You really do eat everything with your hands, using a special bread to wrap everything. At the end of the meal, there's just a center plate left over. Good for the person washing the dishes!

There were a couple things different at this Ethiopian restaurant. At left is a photo SaraJean took of me. Notice the knob in front of my hands? That's because I'm sitting on a –saddle–!








Also, we ordered a fish, which I'd never had at an Ethiopian restaurant. It still had all its bones, so it didn't quite work with the bread sandwich. But I'm pretty sure I still liked it!

After lunch, we took a short walk, then it was time for me to bring SaraJean home and end Date 1. I felt it had gone well enough for a first date! Also, I already had plans to visit my Uncle Al afterward.

However, I gave SaraJean the option to come with me to Uncle Al's (or maybe she asked). It was one of those watershed moments. She could have said no, but she said yes. Then, when we got to Uncle Al's, my cousin Gayle said she was also coming, and my cousin Cindy as well. Did SaraJean want to stay for dinner? Again, she said yes! (Whew!)

On the other hand, SaraJean and I were still on our first date, so it seemed a little early to introduce her to family. However, I was learning from SaraJean how to go with the flow. =)

There was still time before Gayle arrived, so we relaxed in a nearby park. SaraJean is always saying I should just be myself. Here, I'm doing just that!

Gayle and Cindy arrived, and Cindy had brought her two kids and their dog (Katie, Luke and Yogi). I was glad Cindy brought them, because SaraJean loves playing with kids. Also, I suspected the kids would get me to reveal facets of myself that might otherwise go unseen, and that would be good in the end.

I was right, I think…. My cousin Katie started with simple hide-and-go-seek stuff, but somehow that morphed into pretend-to-be-a-jumping-animal, such as a frog or kangaroo. Then, that morphed into pretend-to-be-a-mutant-jumping-animal, so we jumped around sideways while flailing our arms and sticking out our tongues. (Blleaah!)

From Date 1
Meanwhile, Gayle and Cindy made salmon, and we all enjoyed a wonderful dinner.

Also, Cindy lives much closer to SaraJean than I do, so Cindy gave her a ride home. Since it was our first date, I really wanted to drive SaraJean home, but it would have been an extra hour of driving. However, before I said goodbye to SaraJean, I stole a hug while we were alone.

Oh! I should also mention that I gave SaraJean flowers when I picked her up at her apartment. I don't remember exactly what flowers I got, but it included lilies. I mention this because it was the first time I ever gave a girl flowers on a date. (BTW, Trader Joe's has a nice selection.)

In the end, I felt Date 1 went really well. Thank you, Gayle, Cindy, and Uncle Al!


Hmm…. What did I mean when I thought the date went really well? Honestly, I felt that SaraJean had probably had a good time, and that her opinion of me probably went up. But how did I feel about SaraJean? I couldn't tell in that moment. I think I was just trusting that I'd know her better, and my own feelings, as we spent more time together.

But I do remember really enjoying our first hug. =)

From Yum's graduation
The day after our first date was Sunday, and I knew SaraJean didn't have any plans. However, I was busy. I was driving up to Sacramento, as it was Mother's Day, my sister was graduating, and I really wanted to visit my best friend Glenn and play the new video game "Diablo 3" with him. At that point in time, one could reasonably accuse me of having the following priority list (first being the most important): Diablo 3 (a video game) -> Glenn (best friend) -> Mary (sister) -> Mom -> SaraJean.

Clearly, some things would have to change. =)

Next time: Date 2. SaraJean's turn!

No comments: