Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Day 4: Prague, day 2

Last time, I described our first full day in Prague. I walked Charles Bridge at dawn, and we all visited Prague Castle.

The next day, we started with our hotel's fancy breakfast.

Here's one of the butlers. I think his name was "George," but in Czech. Anyway, he was good.
Mom, me and Auntie Nancy. I enjoyed breakfast so much the day before, that this time I woke early for breakfast, with plans to come back a second time for brunch.

Or if you're familiar with Hobbit culture, "second breakfast."


Just a pic of Mom that I like. =)

We met Ken and Debbie, a nice couple staying at the hotel. Here, Ken's showing some stamps he just got for his collection.

Ken and Debbie live in Novato, California! That's pretty close to us, considering we were all the way in a tiny hotel in Prague.
Ken's wife, Debbie.

They have a small volunteer-run "Space Museum." I visited the museum recently, and actually it was quite nice! They have real space relics, including Russian ones. You can touch/play with a lot of it. Made me think of the film "Gravity."

 We went to walk Charles Bridge. This time it was all four of us, in the middle of the day. We expected it to be crowded, and it was. But it was more lively and busy, not sardine-packed.
I didn't realize there would be vendors on the bridge! Mom really enjoyed the local craftsmanship.
This looks like a car's side-view mirror, but it was a mirror at a vendor selling hair accessories. I like the composition of this shot, with the river in the background.

 The bridge has a lot of statues. I don't know what this one is about. But the birds on it are funny.

Street musicians. They were covering American pop music. It was nice!


Mom especially liked this woman's work and bought some gifts for friends.
Another street band. Also very nice!


 Mom was tired and it was getting a little late. But there was a "secret garden" that I had heard about and wanted us to see. It's very close to here. (In the background is the castle.)
A map of the garden. I think it's real name is "Wallenstein Garden."

The garden was very easy to miss, even though it's big and only a stone's throw from our hotel. We almost missed out!

The landscaping reminded me of a hedge maze.
A peacock! This was my first photo of it. I couldn't believe how close it would let us get.
*Really* close.

The feathers are shown as a mating ritual, right? I hope he found what he needed.
Wow, those feathers! I also felt sorry for the child trapped inside. But I'm sure she got to go outside and visit the peacocks later.
The day before, from Prague Castle, I had seen a large, gray "mass" in the distance. It was this wall! What is it?



We didn't have time to really take in the wall. Apparently there are hidden things all over, even suggestions of hidden passages. But actual hidden passages? Tempting.

It really was a beautiful garden. Not very crowded when we went, either. My favorite part of Prague, except maybe for breakfast. =)


Whew! Mom was tired. The next day, we would leave Prague and head for the cruise ship!

Mysteries like this glowing tower would have to wait for another trip. =)


Next time: Get me to the ship on time! Day 5: Regensburg, Vilshofen.

No comments: