Sunday, September 17, 2006

Geoff's trip (part 4 of 4): Seattle -> Sacramento

Tip: First read this previous post and try to guess the story behind the pictures. Once the truth has been revealed the truth, there's no going back!

So, Glenn and I left Seattle before dawn. Even though I'm not a morning person, I love driving during sunrise. The scenery was often breaktaking.





Soon we passed into Oregon.







We visited two old family friends: Chinh and Jeri. Chinh and my dad went to school together.





Chinh and Jeri live in Corvallis, home of the Oregon State Beavers. The four of us, plus two other friends, visited the campus. Here, I am imagining myself as a student. :-)



We also walked around Corvallis. That's where this statue is, as seen from the back. Imagine walking from behind, and then seeing what's really under that hat!







After a lovely time with Chinh and the others, Glenn and I headed for the Oregon coast. It seemed like there was a beach every five miles! We finally stopped here.



Ona Beach State Park was a gem! There was a river to canoe in, a large picnic area, a hidden mossy forest that reminded me of the movie Princess Mononoke, and a beach that totally made me think of the game Final Fantasy X! I even got a good picture of my new orange shoes, which I got on sale at a mall in Minneapolis.

















I was fascinated by the play of the water on the beach. See the "V" trails caused by the pebbles?






Glenn and I played Aerobie (frisbee) in the picnic area. Unfortunately (inevitably?), we lost the frisbee in the bushes. But we took a picture to remind us where to look next time. It should be right . . . there!









We also visited a beach with a famous lighthouse. We could see the beach really well on the walk up to the lighthouse. Sure was gorgeous.



Look! It's the crystal from Final Fantasy!






That night, Glenn and I ate at a nice seafood restaurant. Then, we found a campsite right at the base of the Oregon sand dunes. It was really cool walking around the sand dunes at night (but I don't have any good pictures of that).

We didn't want to put up the tent, so I slept on the table.






At the sand dunes, we took a tour on a huge sand rover. This was a lot of fun. I really felt like we were in the movie "Dune." Next time, I want to ride on a sand rail!










We were sad to leave the Oregon coast, but I had to get home. Our last tourist stop was the "Oregon Vortex and House of Mystery." Oooohhhh . . . even the sign looks a little creepy, doesn't it?



What I liked about the vortex was how simple it was. And it wasn't spooky; it was just a little strange. People would seem to shrink or grow slightly, depending on where they stood. It was fun talking to Glenn about what might be the cause.




As the sun set, Glenn and I crossed into California. Later that night, we arrived safely at home in Sacramento.

No comments: