Saturday, August 09, 2008

Geoff's blog, take two

I've decided to re-start my blog, because I know I've left a lot of friends and family behind. I plan to write every Saturday. (I know it's Sunday already . . . .)

I am now in Seattle, Washington. On August 1, I quit my job at Genentech in South San Francisco as a postdoc studying the disease lupus. I had a great boss, co-workers who were also kind friends, and the research was state-of-the-art. Church was going well, too. However, I really have felt a . . . calling? to write some computer programs. On Monday, I plan to start working on some Adobe Flash stuff full-time. But I'm working on my own; i.e., unpaid.

Today was my first day walking around my new neighborhood. There are certainly a lot of shops nearby, and I finished all my errands. Then in the late afternoon it started raining! It's stopped already, but I thought I'd have a few weeks of sun at least. :-) Well, I'm very thankful to have a roof and an apartment which doesn't seem to leak.

From Genentech (3/24/08 - 5/7/08)
Here is one of my favorite pictures from SF. Of my many lunches at Genentech, this was the only time I was ever at (or even saw) a table this crowded: 7 of us, at a table for 3! I miss you guys! (Including many people who aren't in the picture.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Geoff,

Good to see you're blogging again! I'll be looking forward to reading about your adventures in SF :)

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

hi geoff
stumbled on your blog.
thought i'd leave a comment. my former primary doctor (I moved so had to get a new doc) told me the story of a colleague of his who was trying to get a PhD and doing his thesis on lupus. and the thesis just kept getting longer and longer and longer..
apparently it's a confusing to study as it is to live with :)
best of luck in your new endeavors. computers should make more sense than lupus. just about anything should make more sense than lupus!!

Terence said...

Hey! How come you are not talking about your landlord in DC? Mmmmmmm!

Seriously! Have a great time in Seattle and fulfill your passion! Z.E.T are always here to support. Oh! You should also look for a church to fit in! A calling from your LL in DC (Daly city). :)