Monday, October 20, 2008

Voting, roots

I just finished filling out my absentee ballot for the upcoming elections . . . as a Washington resident! Even though I don't know how long I will be in Seattle, I didn't want to be here with the mindset of a wanderer. The basis is a sermon I heard, during grad school, based on Jeremiah 29:4-7:

This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."

At that time I recall doing the opposite of the above verses: I was mostly ignoring the people I would encounter every day, the vast majority of whom were students like I was. I was just there to do research, get my degree, and yes have idle fun, but really it was a stepping stone. Not a cornerstone. I definitely was not trying to put down roots, either physically or relationally. The reality was that school was a temporary place for me and most of the others. Every year, most students seemed to leave and new students replaced them.

Long story short, I found my attitude and perspective changing. And I was much happier. Not only was I getting to know a lot more people--some better than others, some still friends and some I've lost touch with--but I was less of an overanalyzing, selfish person. I hated how my mind would think, "It would be better for you to get to know this person instead of that person, because of such-and-such." Or how I would go places for a week and put up these walls because I didn't think it would be worth really getting to know people there.

This attitude check transformed my actions at Caltech, in Minnesota, in SF, and now in Seattle. And I am very grateful, even though I have continued to move around frequently. So, even though I might leave Seattle in any given month, I have updated all my personal info to here, including my car and voter registration. And I want to get to know my neighbors better.

FYI, if you want to know whom I voted for, anyone should feel free to e-mail me.

1 comment:

asdf said...

I felt the same way in Avery. It's difficult to keep getting to know the new people every year right after you waved goodbye to your friends. Part of the problem is that every year I'm 1 year older than the new people, but still, I had a hard time doing it all over again.

If you didn't vote for me (as a write-in), then you've wasted your vote!