Sunday, November 09, 2008

Will the last person leaving Seattle . . .

So Uncle Ron, Auntie Nancy and I were hanging out in her house. We were talking about the current economic crisis and how it is different from previous ones. Ron and Nancy mentioned that, once in the 1970s, Boeing laid off so many people that stores were closing all over Seattle and it felt like everyone was moving away. Someone put this billboard up in 1971, near the Seattle airport:

"Will the last person leaving SEATTLE - Turn out the lights."

It is kind of sad, but also kind of funny. And people still remember it 37 years later! (I found the picture at the Seattle Times.)

At least I haven't seen a billboard like this yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is definitely what I was searching for, You have saved me alot of time