Friday, May 26, 2006

My secret vacation to Caltech

Last week, I had the honor of taking a secret vacation to Caltech. It was a secret because I was coming to help at Caltech's "Ditch Day," so only a handful of people at Tech knew I was coming. Much could be said about Ditch Day, but here's an overview:
  • Seniors spend weeks/months beforehand planning and preparing elaborate "stacks."
  • Contemporary stacks tend to be puzzles/clues based on a theme, like "James Bond" or the TV show "Scrubs."
  • On Ditch Day, the seniors set up the stacks and leave campus. The other students then sign-up to solve a stack, which lasts for the whole day. Even though there are maybe 30 stacks on Ditch Day, a student usually spends almost all his time on only one stack.
Ditch Day was a wonderful experience for me, on many levels. I look forward to writing a long and detailed blog about it next.



Besides Ditch Day, I also spent time visiting my old labmates from the Mayo lab, friends from Avery House, and I even got to see some friends from Anime Expo. Here are Ben (l) and Kyle (r), from the Mayo lab. A group of us went to La Estrella, which is a tasty taco hut.

Gretchen from my small group insisted I go to the beach at least once, and that was a great idea! My old labmate Jessica drove us near Venice Beach, and it was both fun and therapeutic. :-) Thanks to Gretchen for the motivation, to Amanda and Pete for letting us borrow the Smashball, and to Jess, for friendship.

I really wanted a picture of the ocean over my feet. I was worried my camera might get damaged, but it seems fine.





There were some trick bikers near the beach. I would totally be up for learning this . . . while wearing some pads.

No comments: