Friday, April 14, 2006

Weekend 1 recap



I still wanted to tell a little about my first week in Minnesota. I arrived safely Friday night, eventually. :-) (See earlier blogs.) Saturday morning, Shira and Tyson took me to their Jewish synagogue. (I've included their pics.)


This was my first time at a Jewish service. (Well, except for one bar mizvah, many years ago, and that bris in Avery . . . ) Anyway, this experience was also very memorable and reverential. They read and speak a lot in Hebrew, and I kept thinking about the similarities and differences from what I am used to. I also wore a kippa (those flat little hats). Everyone was very friendly, and we had a wonderful (Jewish?) lunch afterwards. I was surprised by how many young people were there. In hindsight, I was silly to assume otherwise. I guess I still have a lot of stereotypes to unlearn.

I would have taken pics of the synagogue, but I don't think we're supposed to use electronics in the synagogue, at least not on the Sabbath. Actually, I just forgot to take my camera. :-)

Shira knew I wanted to go to church Sunday, and she kindly took me to BBC (Bethlehem Baptist Church). I really appreciated her doing that. Turns out the senior pastor, Jon Piper, is on sabbatical for 22 weeks, but that's okay. Gives me the chance to see BBC without making an idol of the senior pastor. Also, I don't feel as bad about visiting other churches during this time.

Sunday afternoon, Shira took me to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. That's where the cherry and the spoon are. I'm really glad I got to see it while there was still snow on the ground. Here's a pic of Shira at the "Standing Glass Fish," by Frank Gehry. (Gehry designed the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.)

A lot more happened that first weekend, but I think I've already forgotten a lot of it. :-( I just remember that it felt like a whirlwind. Before I knew it, it was already Sunday night, and I'd be getting up at 7 am for my first day at my new job.

Coming soon: The Abandoned Fairgrounds . . . ooohhhh . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff, great to see you're getting out and about in Minnesota! This blog thing is great! I run into your mom quite often these days, so very nice to still keep in touch with you and your mom after all these years. Happy Easter!

asdf said...

gehry also designed the art museum building on the east end of the washington st bridge.